History of Purley on Thames
You can look at history in so many different ways and on this website we attempt to guide you via several different approaches.
- Chronicles of Purley- This gives you a year by year brief record of key events in Purley
- Purley through the Ages – This provides the story of what happened in Purley during the major periods of English history.
- People and Families – How individuals and families influenced not only Purley, but often National affairs as well.
- Buildings and Estates – tracing the history of buildings – who lived in them and what they were used for.
- The Church – All about the Church of St Mary The Virgin
- Transport – How people got around in the past, train and bus services
- Education – How and where our children were taught
- Social History – covering a wide variety of topics, Poor Law, Crime, Recreation, Sports, Pastimes, Achievements
- The Work Place – our farms and farmers, local craftsmen, industry, shops
- Archaeology – what we have found out from archaeological excavations in the area.
- Heraldry – coats of arms around the village and what they tell us.
- Governance – How Purley has been governed from a national to a personal level.
- Services – How different organisations have provided services in the area.
- Social Life – how people have made the most of facilities and opportunities to enjoy themselves or serve others.
These links will guide you to a part of our archive which holds articles contributed by members of Project Purley.